I had to rewrite this blog. I first wrote it early this morning and I was horrified by Ms. Moos' reporting and, as a proud breastfeeder, I was, frankly, offended. I'm not running out to buy Leo a breastfeeding doll, but something about this whole thing just makes my heart heavy.
I'm not sure how I feel about this.
I don't care for Jeanne Moos' attitude of disgust throughout the video; I feel it's irresponsible. I do understand that it is an opinion piece, but she doesn't really give the viewer any supporting argument for her look of repulsion. Shame on you, Jeanne Moos.
The middle-aged woman with the short hair who appears in various states of disgust throughout the video states toward the end that little girls are dealing with such conflicting feelings about their changing bodies and this might be confusing for them (or something like that). OK, interesting point, one could maybe argue that. But I believe that if we talked more openly about WHAT BREASTS ARE ACTUALLY FOR and made it more OK for women to openly breastfeed or speak about breastfeeding, it wouldn't be so instilled in little girls' minds that boobs are sexy and dirty. It wouldn't be so confusing for them.
I wonder if Jeanne Moos has children and, if so, did she breastfeed? I would be shocked. She seems to feel pretty squicky about the whole thing. I think she should do a little hard thinking about whether she really, truly examined all sides of the story with this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment