Monday, July 18, 2011

Becoming a boy

Leo skipped most of his afternoon nap - yikes! So after nursing and then feeding him some awesome peas and oatmeal around 5pm, he was edging towards grouchiness, and I was in desperate need of 5-10 minutes of kitchen cleanup time. So, lazy mother with a small apartment* that I am, I turned his highchair to face the computer screen and pulled up a Sesame Street video - Kermit singing "It's Not Easy Being Green." He stared in amazement and smiled at Kermit and, never taking his eyes off of the screen, very sloooowly raised his sippy cup** to his mouth and took a drink.

In that moment he looked so much like a little boy - and not like a baby - that my chest felt like it might burst. He is a person and he is growing every day. It is so heart-achingly wonderful and frightening and fast and delightful.

It's not easy being green:



Leo's mind: Blown.


*(the kitchen is the living room is the breakfast nook is where our computer desk sits; I sit in the computer chair while I feed Leo in his highchair because we don't have a table)

**(just water - he hardly drinks any of it at all, just a couple tiny swallows, just for fun or to teach him how to use it or whatever)

No comments:

Post a Comment