Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fela!



sick dude post-blood transfusion (that didn't work)

I'm copying this text from an email I sent to my aunt this morning, verbatim, because I don't want to type it all out again.

-

Well, at 5am a hungry cat woke me up and cried all the way to the kitchen. I fed him a little, and we went back to bed. Then, at 8am, I was awakened by an energetic dude with a rattling toy on the bed. He chased it around for a while. We were shocked.

The internist called to check up on him, and at her suggestion, we took him for a red cell recheck today and the level had gone up! It's still low, and he's still dehydrated - but less so - and the internist feels pretty confident that it's autoimmune in nature and that the steroid is helping. She and Matt were calling it IMHA (immune-mediated hemolytic anemia?) and she said it's very rare in cats, more common in dogs. She checked a stool and there was no sign of a bleed.

We're taking him in on Monday or Tuesday for another recheck. If he needs another transfusion we'll think about it then, after the steroid has a little longer to do its magic.

Unreal. I know we're not out of the woods yet, but he is eating and playing today...drinking water as I type this. I didn't think he would survive the week.

So, so relieved and hopeful!

No comments:

Post a Comment