Sunday, December 30, 2012

My little sponge

We have been, of late, pretty floored by Leo's ability to retain information...specifically, remembering any and everything we say.  This is not a new thing per se, but the information being retained has become so much more complex than "Oh sit!" (our first big "oops" from a few months back).

Last night, I laughed until I cried during Leo's bath when he picked up a toy cup and put it on his head and sang, "Happy birthday tooo yoooooou!"  It came out of nowhere.  How does he know that the birthday kid wears a hat?!?!

This morning, Matt was home from his night shift and was playing with Leo in the living room.  He took off his sweatshirt, revealing the scrubs beneath, and Leo abruptly said, "Papa go work.  Bye Papa" and gave him a kiss.  This isn't the first time that Leo has talked about "going to work," sometimes he gets on his little ride-on car and says "Bye, go work," pedals around the back of the couch, and reappears on the other side.  Hi mama.

I always sing to Leo when I am rocking him before putting him in his crib at night - usually "Georgia on My Mind," which is (inexplicably) his favorite song.  I will often try to sing others and he will interrupt and say "Mo Jo-jo?" (sing more Georgia?).  Lately, however, I've been singing "Silent Night," for obvious reasons, and he's been requesting that at bedtime instead of Jo-Jo.  Tonight he was playing wildly before bathtime and out of nowhere he started singing, "Siiiiilent niiiii, Hoooooly niiiii, Ahhhh is caaaa, ahhhh is biiiiiiite..."  He even goes up and down in pitch.  That's a new thing, too - attempting to match pitch!  My boy!!!

Final vignette.  Tonight during bath, I was lamenting over our inability to go out and do fun stuff (playdates, park trips, etc) since Leo has been so sick lately.  I told him that his birthday party (with family) was coming up and I said, "Tomorrow we will go to the party store and get the stuff for your party...that will be such a fun adventure!  You can pick out any kind of decorations you want!  They have Thomas the Train birthday plates and cups, we can have a Thomas party."  He processed all of this, continued playing, and about five minutes later he smiled, said "Bye mama!"  Where are you going, Leo?  "Go party store, Thomas party.  Happy birthday to yooooou, happy birthday dear Leo!"

Floored.

1 comment:

  1. Erin likes to hear "Baby Mine" and sometimes at 2 am in the dead quiet while rocking her, she'll whisper "baby song?"

    ReplyDelete