I had the best birthday weekend.
Girls' night out with some of my mama friends on Friday night. Saturday evening, I got to go on a little shopping spree and picked up a couple of pairs of jeans, several tops and sweaters, fabulous! On Sunday, my actual actual birthday, Matt and I went to the first movie (in a THEATER) that we had seen since Leo's birth. It may have been the first film I've watched in its entirety since then, too, not sure. It was "The Grey." Kind of a dark, violent, twisted reintroduction to moviegoing. I loved it. We held hands and cuddled in the theater and ate popcorn. And on Sunday evening, we got to go out for a fancy dinner at one of our favorite places, Mangiamo, in Manhattan Beach. Sexy sexy Italian, yum. Matt gave me a spa day gift certificate. YEAH!
And, the cherry on top of the icing on the 32nd birthday cake: A quiet Monday morning shopping trip to Nordstrom's, by myself, to get fitted for real bras, not nursing bras, not sports bras. Real, nice, pretty, comfy bras, with no snap at the armpit. Brought to me by a sweet girl who measured me and everything.
On my 30th birthday, I was in kind of an unhappy place, dealing with a little depression, not happy in my job at all. It was a hard birthday. Last year, we spent my birthday at the La-Z-Boy store, recliner shopping, with a 6-week-old wrapped in a Moby on Matt's torso and/or being breastfed in the backseat of our car...I was happy but exhausted, confused, anxious, unsure of myself. This year, I feel like I am exactly where I was meant to be. I love where we live. I have wonderful, supportive, fun friends. I am crazy in love with my husband. Our son is learning, growing, healthy, thriving, and so attached to Matt and I. I have a nice routine down in my daily life as a stay-at-home-mother and have truly grown into the role - I know how to push through the daily struggles that are so hard when you are a brand-new mom - and I know that nothing is permanent. I have become a much better and more consistent cook than I used to be - and more confident. I can prepare dinner with my toddler-baby at my feet. I am striving to be healthy and take care of my own body, something which is a constant struggle for me, but I am working on it. Physically, I am somehow more flexible than I was pre-baby and I am using this change to my advantage, trying to get into a more regular home yoga practice.
I am truly, truly happy.
Also, happy 36th anniversary to my incredible parents. I love you so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment