Saturday, June 4, 2011

Personality


I'm really, really enjoying getting to know this little person.

I'm trying to figure out how social he is or isn't, and how to time our outings for maximum baby enjoyment. We went to library storytime last week and he LOVED it. He was smiling and laughing and standing the whole time - so animated and excited by the singing and clapping.

Yesterday, Leo and I went to a music and sign class with our friend Jackie and her son, who is two weeks younger than Leo. He was really into it at first, but I sort of timed it poorly - should have fed him before the class, but he wasn't hungry yet - so he got hungry during the class, and because it was too exciting/stimulating he would fuss for the boob and then pull off after about two minutes to pay attention to what was going on around him. As with all ill-timed cycles of hunger and sleep this all gradually spiraled into exhaustion and a nap in my arms for the remainder of the class. We're going to go back to the class this week, so we'll probably just wake up a little early on Thursday so that he's fed and napped and can really enjoy it.

He seems to be easily overwhelmed by meeting lots of new people. When we were in Minnesota visiting my family, we had two or more groups of visitors each day and it took him a while to warm up to everyone, and it made for a little bit of crankiness. I started to limit it so he wouldn't be so overstimulated but I do still believe it's important for him to get used to meeting new people.

After yesterday's class, we got home and nursed and had some quiet time then went out to walk with our mama and baby friends. He fussed in his stroller, so I put him in a baby carrier and just carried him for the whole two-hour walk. I like to go and do and be out with people, and I believe that babies will to some extent acclimate to the family's lifestyle, but sometimes you just need to hold on to your Mom. I don't mind it one bit.

He is sleeping great. He goes to bed between 830-9 (I try to always put him down awake, and he usually falls asleep on his own these days) and wakes once, around two, to eat. I feel that I could faze this feeding out but I'm not really in a hurry. He usually wakes again around 5 and fusses for a hot minute, then puts himself back to sleep until morning. The past two nights, though, he has been rolling onto his tummy and then crying - I guess he can't get back over to his back. This terrifies me, of course, but they say that once they are strong enough to roll it really isn't dangerous for them to roll onto their bellies. Still, I camped out in his room for a while last night and woke every 20 minutes or so to check on him...

Mornings are my favorite time of day. He eats between 8-830 so he wakes and coos quietly in his crib sometime between 7-8. When I hear him wake up I get up, make my (small bit of) coffee, wash my face, etc. Then I go into his room, turn up the lights, and lean over the side of the crib and am always rewarded with a gigantic grin. This is one happy, happy baby.

Your daily Leo:


ok, one more

No comments:

Post a Comment