Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Mike-and-Neysa-sized lump in my throat

I've been so very thankful to have so much family and family-in-law to come and hang out with me and help out with Leo. Since the end of February, I've had someone here with me each week: first Matt's mom for a week, then my mom the following week, then my brother for a week, then my parents (and for a few days, my grandma was here as well). It's been great to have the company and the help, with Matt working 90-to-100 hour weeks.

My parents left today after spending a week with us. I have a knot in my tummy, even though I will be seeing them again soon. It was the first time my dad had seen Leo since the week after he was born. He has (obviously) changed so much. He was so smiley and interactive with them. He loved both his Grandma and his Grandpa so much - each morning when they would get here, he would smile and talk to them - it was so sweet.

The last time my mom came, I was still so in need of parenting support. She was helping me soothe Leo, doing a lot of diapering, etc. Everything was chaotic, I was not yet confident. So much has changed. It was great to feel more competent. Leo has a bedtime routine, and since we are all sleeping more, I didn't need my folks to come over and sit with him so I could go back to bed. When I get up in the morning, I feel (fairly) rested and happy and ready for the day. (as opposed to beat-down, weepy and exhausted - no really, newborns are magical, but it's rough.)

Anyway, my point is that my parents could function like grandparents instead of trying to help me keep afloat. It's good to feel like I have finally gotten my bearings.

Plus, it really freed my parents up to do things like the following: grocery shop, cook many dinners, sweep-vacuum-dust our entire apartment, do all of the laundry twice over, bring the comforter that is too big for our washer to the laundromat (seriously, my dad rocks), go to Target and purchase extra towels so I don't have to do laundry so often, try to fix the plumbing (again, my dad rules - several trips to the hardware store and eventually acting as plumber-landlord liaison as matt was working and I am a lady and don't deal with such things), et cetera et cetera, plus go for a walk with Leo and me every afternoon to get a coffee treat.

Matt's vacation starts Thursday and I can't wait to have a couple of weeks of nuclear family time. But I'm so, so thankful for our parents during a hard intern year made even more intense by the arrival of one Leo Mack. Life is lovely. Thanks, Mom and Dad.



No comments:

Post a Comment