Saturday, October 23, 2010

Holidays

I've been thinking a lot about the holidays lately. Neither Matt nor I are particularly religious (Matt much less so than me), but we both love Christmas and spending that time with family.

As a first-year emergency medicine intern, Matt's year is comprised basically of 4-week long rotations throughout the hospital (ER, Peds ER, ICU's, OB, Anesthesia, Ortho, etc). He will be on one of his busiest rotations in December - an ICU rotation with Q3 call, which means his schedule will involve a 30-hour overnight hospital shift every THIRD day. The non-call days will be 12 hours or more. Think: Monday 7-7, Tuesday 7-7, Wednesday 7am - noon on Thursday, Friday 7-7, Saturday off (maybe?), Sunday 7am - noon on Monday, repeat, repeat, repeat repeat repeat. When he does get to be home, he'll probably be sleeping. I think he gets four days off that month.

On the home front, I'll be nine months pregnant and unable to travel. My parents are visiting in early December to help me finish setting up the baby's room and to entertain me while Matt works or sleeps. But it's likely that on Christmas eve and day, he will be working and I'll be by myself!

I consider myself so incredibly lucky to have a family that I love so much. I LOVE family Christmases. And the fact that I adore my in-laws and LOVE their Christmas traditions as well? I am infinitely blessed. So in the spirit of being thankful, and not pessimistic, I am determined not to mope about our Christmas situation. I will make this Christmas special for Matt and I. I'm going to get us a tree! And decorate. I'm going to stuff stockings and wrap presents and cook a big holiday dinner, even if we have to eat it in the middle of the night and go straight to bed because he has to get up for work in the morning. Because this is our last christmas before we are three, and I want to enjoy and treasure our alone time before it changes for good.

And because I love him so much. And I love to see his face on Christmas when he opens his presents.

Christmas 2008



Christmas 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment