Sunday, October 27, 2013

I'm gonna be a happy kitty.

Leo talks and talks and talks. He talks all of the time. If he is awake, he is talking. He talks until he falls asleep and he talks the second he wakes up in the morning. He talks constantly in the car. We stand for much too long with the doors open because we don't want to shut the car doors on him when he's in the middle of a thought. Which is always.

His biggest thing right now is "Mama, remember that day when..." except "remember" sounds like "bemumbo" and if we don't "bemumbo" what he is talking about it can be very upsetting for him. "Mama, bemumbo yesterday (everything in the past is "yesterday") when I was fishing at Auntie Beck's house and Weo caught a fish and Auntie Beck said let's catch one more and Weo said noooo, no, no, I'm all done and it's time to build towers Auntie Beck, Mama, bemumbo thaaaat?"

Some other things I want to bemumbo:

We are planning a ski trip with Matt's parents for Christmas and we told Leo all about it, showed him videos of kids skiing on YouTube. That night before we went to bed he was talking about it nonstop. "I'm gonna climb to the top of a big snowy hill and fall alllll the way down and have so much fun." We told him there would be a hot tub at our rental house and we could have hot chocolate in it. "And can we have ice cream? And cookies? And a gingerbread man? And can we bring some books to the house?" this went on and on until he fell asleep. The next morning, I kid you not, the first thing out of his mouth was "And mama, can we have M&M's at the house tooooo?"

Today we were out and about downtown, just poking around in shops, and spent some time buying stuff for our Halloween costumes. Later, we saw some people dressed up in costumes. A 20-something girl and guy were dressed as zombies and their makeup was pretty scary, including contact lenses that whited out their irises. Leo seemed to be very scared of them. We struck up a conversation with them and Matt and I showed Leo how they were wearing makeup and contact lenses (like we do) and how they were actually really nice people. We were trying to make him see that they were just looking scary for fun, that sometimes it can be exciting and fun to pretend to be scary, and he seemed to be satisfied enough with that that we felt good about leaving it, that it wasn't going to be just some scary unresolved monster sighting in his memory. As we were walking to our car one of us said, "You could be a scary kitty for Halloween!" to which Leo paused and then responded quietly, "I think I'm gonna be a happy kitty."

We do our best to just speak to him simply and explain everything fully when it's appropriate. Matt is so good at this...giving him the benefit of the doubt and not simplifying everything when it's not necessary. Sometimes he comes out with things, with thoughts, that just blow our minds. Tonight, Matt read him The Lorax, which I've always thought seemed like kind of a long-winded book for a two-year-old. We've read it to him a handful of times. At the end of the book, when the Once-ler gives the little boy the last Truffula seed, Leo exclaimed, "Now the fish and the birds and the Lorax and the Barbaloots can all be happy again!" We were astounded that he understood what that Truffula seed meant. Of course, my husband, who misses nothing, added, "Yes, but first the boy will have to take very good care of the seed and work hard to feed it and protect it..." I love that man.

Another favorite quote from today: I'm not a boy. I'm Superboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment