Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Life changes

On the eve of my 33rd birthday, just over a month ago, I hit a wall. I was so upset about my clothes not fitting anymore. I realized it was time for a big change. I started a couch-to-5k training program and changed my diet.

Here is a before-and-after pic. I took the first pic the night of my meltdown; the second picture was last night after my run.


Making this change has given me such an incredible boost in so, so many ways. I have more energy. I am happier. I go to bed earlier because I'm not jumping from snack to snack (and, therefore, I'm more rested because I'm sleeping longer!) My diet has changed so much but I'm really enjoying what I'm eating and I'm cooking a lot. I don't feel guilty about snacking because I'm limiting my crap food and not binging.

Last year I started following a meal planning service and really committed to learning to cook, and it was awesome. I learned so much and I LOVE to cook. But for now I'm taking a break from the plan and cooking from the Weight Watchers cookbook. And you know what? The recipes are awesome. And I am learning to listen to my body and stop eating when I'm full...not when there is no food left in the pan.

My old clothes fit. My jeans fit. Having a closet full of beloved old clothes that suddenly fit you again is like suddenly having a whole new wardrobe. I don't feel like a slob wearing my pj pants everywhere.

My running is improving. I stretch religiously, so my plantar fasciitis is getting better, too.

Most of all, I am so damn happy and proud of myself. I'm finally doing something real and concrete to take care of myself. Treating myself. Long-term. Not just treating myself by going for a quick shopping trip, or indulging in some wine because I deserve it, but taking the time to commit and put myself first because when I am happy, I am a better mom and wife.

I saw one of those quotes on The Facebook the other day - you know, those cheesy inspirational quotes that someone typed in some stupid fancy font and posted as a picture? But this one hit me in the gut. It said, "It's not who you are that is holding you back. It's who you think you're NOT."

I thought I wasn't the athletic girl. I'm not the healthy eater. I could never run a race. But it was holding me back. I'm making the choice to be that girl. I'm taking control. 

I want this guy to grow up seeing his mama take care of herself, be active, eat healthy, and be happy, so that he will do the same.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome!You're totally rockin' the "athletic girl" look in your after pic. You are her. :)

    ReplyDelete