Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I think I just worked something out here

You may notice that I've been doing a lot more blogging recently.  Actually, in all likelihood, you are my mom (hi MOM!), who is the only person I know of that reads this blog regularly. :) 

I do not want to come off like I'm complaining.  I have a WONDERFUL life and I love it.  I love the two amazing dudes with whom I share a home, for better or for worse, forever.

I've been blogging a bit this week because I've needed an outlet - Leo has been sick for about two weeks now, since the day before we left for Texas for our family Christmas.  It has been one week today since I have been, for all practical purposes, quarantined (mostly) indoors (mostly) alone with my toddler son.

Because Matt got the Christmas holidays off, he gets slammed for New Years (while those Christmas-working suckers are living largely and luxuriously as I type this in my three-day-old PJ bottoms), so not only has Leo been sick, but we've been Papa-less.  Oh, and I am sick too.  Oh yeah, and the 12/14-hour-night-shift-working-Papa is sick too. 

Sick Leo means coughing Leo, and coughing Leo pukes.  A lot.  Coughing Leo needs to be held upright at night, so I've been doing a lot of upright semi-sleeping in the recliner in his room.  Sick Leo takes late naps for some reason, so he doesn't wake until about 3pm (sometimes in my arms), and Sick Leo takes a long time to adjust to awake-life after his nap, so we usually don't make it out the door in the afternoons, which means that the Mama has a lot of very creative toddler-entertaining to do.  Tonight we had two dinners and took two baths.  He wanted it, so I went with it.

..."He wanted it, so I went with it."  Interesting.  Being alone with him for the past few days and unable to do park trips and playdates has made me realize how much I plan our days.  I actually think that he has had a fine time being with me in our house and being with Papa for a few fast and furious minutes each morning.  A lot of the other things keep us entertained and keep my spirits up, and yes I think he is happier with parks and playdates and other kids in our lives, but it's been a challenging and enlightening experiment to just see what he comes up with every day.  Wow, I think I just worked something out here.  See what I mean?  The therapeutic blogging?

Enough whining.  We have so, so very much to look forward to in 2013.  We actually have so, so very much to look forward to this weekend - BOTH sets of grandparents coming for Leo's birthday!  My parents staying for THREE MONTHS!  Matt being on his elective rotation (sleep in, family time, work a little) for two weeks!  If being trapped in my apartment by the beach for a week with my beautiful, sweet, funny little boy is the worst thing that ever happens to me, so be it, I will take it.

But if the Papa could have a day off here or there, that would be pretty awesome, too.  Just stating facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment