Matt is on vacation for two weeks. We are staying home. We aren't quite one week in yet. It has been, without a doubt or hesitation, the best week of my life. Here are some highlights.
- We bought a used electric hybrid bicycle off of Craigslist, and the owner included one of those green baby seats mounted on the front. It's awesome. With the electric motor it goes up to 20 mph. We bought another but it's in rough condition, we're hoping it can be restored so that we can take day trips up to Venice, LA, etc without the bother of traffic or parking. Leo loves it. LOVES.
- We clipped the tips off of all of Leo's pacifiers and now he's done with pacifiers. This is huge. At 16.5 months this week, he had gotten to the point where
he wanted a pacifier all the time. It was interfering with eating and
drinking. He'd drop them on the floor in grocery stores and cry, etc.
We didn't just have a pacifarm in his crib, we had a pacimenagerie. He
still doesn't sleep through the night consistently. And, he is talking
a ton but it was definitely not helping his speech or pronunciation,
and he's getting to that stage where he is frustrated when he can't
communicate with us. So last night I sliced the tips off of all of his
pacis (I saved a few in case of emergency). During his bath, he asked
for a paci. We gave him a cut one and he immediately became ENRAGED and
threw it out of his mouth into the water. This happened several times,
followed by an intense pre-bedtime meltdown, then when I was rocking
him to sleep - nothing. He was fine. He fell asleep in my arms as
usual. He did wake up twice during the night but he was easily rocked
back to sleep, and I did leave a few in his crib just to remind him (one
wakeup sounded particularly angry). Today he's been fine. A couple of
times he has chewed on a pacifier and then discarded it. He didn't
even ask for one at bed. I clipped the remaining stash and in a few
more days I'm just going to throw them all out. This huge for our little family. Magic.
- My heart swells with unbelievable love and joy at seeing Matt and Leo together so much. I never knew, never realized, could never have grasped the intensity with which I could love until I saw my husband be a dad to our son. And this week it's been in full force. Tonight, Leo was having his usual postbath-prebed-peridiapering meltdown when he suddenly reached down, tickled his own toes, and said "Weeweewee." It's because Matt does "This little piggy" with him. He was asking for it. So I did it. He was not amused. He repeated the weeweeweeing and Matt came over and did it to a chorus of laughter. I know that my greatest joy in this life is going to be being a parent with my best friend, the love of my life.
- We bought a refurbished, discounted Vitamix. Well hello, consistently smooth green breakfast shakes, we are happy to have you in our lives. (It hasn't actually arrived yet, but this is how I hope I'll feel after it does)
- And finally. Littlematt is obsessed with letters and numbers. He can't really tell the difference between letters and numbers, but whenever he sees them, he says "Ayyyye-dee! Ayyye-dee!" (His version of A-B-C.) And I mean WHENEVER he sees them. Every time. Think about how very surrounded we are by letters and numbers. I'll give you an example: 7am - we wake up. I go in to cuddle him and he spies the Huggies box on his shelf. Aye dee. Then I change his diaper and he finds his copy of Goodnight Moon (which we leave on the change table for his perusal). Ayyyyye dee. We go out into the living room to play and he sees his letter blocks...aye dee. We go out for a walk - license plates on cars (Kah)! Delivery trucks (Dut)! Signs; words painted on roads; shirts with writing on them worn by people (Hi) walking dogs (ruff ruff ruff). There are a lot of damn letters and numbers out there, folks.
No comments:
Post a Comment