Thursday, September 10, 2009

9-10-08 (yes, 2008).

A year ago today I...

...and my husband learned that voluntary evacuations were in effect in Galveston.
...and my husband learned that medical students were being encouraged to evacuate.
...and my husband made arrangements with our dearest friends Robert and Kelly to stay with them for "a few days."
...taught my last voice lesson.
...rescheduled other voice lessons, thinking I'd be back in town in a week or so.
...bought plywood.
...boarded up the house.
...bought some "road trip" food at Kroger, ran into Valerie and her husband at the grocery store, and laughed about "evacuating."
...drove home from Kroger along the seawall and watched a beautiful Gulf sunset.
...got home and made cannellini bean dip, which for some reason I thought would be good "road trip" food (I suspect it was a last-ditch attempt at domesticity in our comfy Galveston house?).
...put some jewelry and photo albums up in a waterproof cupboard, just in case (thinking I was overreacting).
...played a Chopin prelude on my piano late at night, just because I knew I would miss my piano while we were "away."
...went to bed and slept restlessly, and mused that the evacuation could keep me away from my sweet and soooo comfy bed for several days.
...set my alarm for 6:00 am so we could beat the traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment